Registration opens on March 31. Sessions fill up fast so secure your spot soon. Go to jwuLink, click "New Student Checklist," and click "Register for Orientation" to access the registration site sign up.

Save the Dates: 2017 Summer Orientation

  • Monday-Tuesday, June 26-27, 2017
  • Monday-Tuesday, July 17-18, 2017
  • Monday, July 31, 2017 (for transfers and returning learners)
  • Thursday, August 31, 2017-Friday, September 1, 2017 (for new students who live 500 miles or more from JWU Denver)



The First Year

If a student, or parent/guest, requires special assistance due to a medical, physical, or disability-related reason, will Johnson & Wales University be able to provide me with the necessary assistance?

Johnson & Wales is dedicated to providing reasonable accommodations to give learning disabled, physically challenged, and students with chronic medical conditions the opportunity to succeed in their academic pursuits. While maintaining the highest academic integrity, the university strives to balance scholarship with support services that assist students with disabilities to function in the university's environment. All requests for special accommodations must be submitted no later than two weeks prior to your arrival on campus. Contact the Center for Academic Support through email at disabilities.den@jwu.edu or phone 303-256-9451 to make arrangements for assistance.

What transportation is available from the Denver International Airport?

FEER Taxi service is available from Denver International Airport. Listed below is the information for two local cab companies in Denver. 

  • Metro Taxi Denver:  303-333-3333
  • Yellow Cab of Denver: 303-777-7777

Additional transportation options include:

RTD is the local bus system in the Denver and Boulder metro area. Route, schedule and ticket information can be found online.

Super Shuttle Visit the Super Shuttle website for more information and to make reservations.

Where can I park on campus during orientation?

Complimentary parking will be available on campus throughout the duration of all orientation programs.  Students may park in the Welcome Center parking lot (located at 18th and Olive Streets) or the large lot located at the corner of Quebec and 17th Avenue.

Transportation to and from campus is the responsibility of students attending orientation. 

How do I get to campus?

Directions to Campus for Orientation:


From I-70 East or West & Denver International Airport

From I-70, exit Quebec Street (Exit 278). Take Quebec South until you reach 17th Avenue (just over two miles). Turn right on 17th Avenue. Go two blocks and turn right on Pontiac Street, following the curve to the left onto 18th. Parking is located on the right in the Welcome Center Parking Lot. Once parked, follow signs to the Academic Center and check-in.

From I-25 South-bound

Take I-25 South merge onto I-70 heading East. From I-70, exit Quebec Street (Exit 278). Take Quebec South until you reach 17th Avenue (just over two miles). Turn right on 17th Avenue. Turn right on Pontiac Street, following the curve to the left onto 18th. Parking is located on the right in the Welcome Center Parking Lot. Once parked, follow signs to the Academic Center and check-in.

From I-25 North-bound

Take I-25 North to Colorado Blvd. (exit 204) and turn right. Take Colorado Blvd. to East 17th Avenue (approximately 5 miles) and turn right. Take 17th Avenue approximately 2 miles to Olive Street. Turn left on Olive. The Welcome Center Parking Lot will be directly in front of you at 18th and Olive. Once parked, follow the signs to the Academic Center and check-in.

Is there an ATM on campus?

Yes, there is a US Bank ATM located in the Academic Center, near RICOH.

Are siblings allowed to come to orientation?

We do not believe siblings and younger children would enjoy orientation, as there will not be any programming designed for their age group.

What if I have extenuating circumstances and cannot attend orientation?

Please contact Orientation and First-Year Initiatives at (303) 256-9603 to discuss your situation or any other questions regarding orientation.

Who should I contact about changing my major?

If you wish to change your major prior to the start of the term, please contact Admissions by calling (303) 256-9300.

If you wish to change your major after the start of the term, please contact Student Academic Services by calling (303) 256-9700.

When is my health form due?

All health forms and requirements must be completed before you begin classes. An incomplete medical record may delay your ability to attend class. Find forms here: http://www.jwu.edu/accepted/denver/health-forms/.

Please contact Health & Counseling Services at (303) 256-9448.

Are new students allowed to have cars on campus?

Yes, new students are allowed to have a car and should contact Campus Safety & Security at 303-256-9500 for more information about parking.

How may I prepare for my Academic Assessment?

With few exceptions, Johnson & Wales requires all new students to undergo Academic Assessment in math and sentence skills to assist with placement in general studies courses. Results of all assessments will help generate an appropriate class schedule based on individual student skill levels and abilities. NOTE:

  • Students MUST have a photo ID (driver's license) for admittance.
  • Assessments are mandatory before classes begin in the fall.
  • The math and sentence skills assessments are not timed, but generally take one-and-a-half hours to complete.
  • Assessment preparation materials are available at http://www.testprepreview.com/accuplacer_practice.htm or you may download an application for $1.99 for your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch at http://www.collegeboard.com/student/testing/accuplacer/preparation-sample.html
  • If you have a documented disability requiring special accommodations, you must forward documentation to Center for Academic Support at least two weeks prior to your assessment to ensure accommodations can be arranged. No accommodations will be provided without appropriate documentation or if documentation is submitted on the day of assessment.

How do I pick my room/roommate? How do I contact my roommate? When?

We have an online application, which allows you to select your room and your roommate all online. Details about this online process will be e-mailed to you within approximately five business days of the date in which your $300 admissions reservation fee was posted to your student account. Contacting your roommate is easiest when done through the online housing application. Room selection is a lottery style process however is also based off when you applied "completed the online application". Please contact Residential Life at 303-256-9400 with additional questions regarding room selection.

What size sheets should I buy?

If you will be residing in Johnson Hall, Presidents Hall or Triangolo Hall, please purchase twin extra-long sheets.

If you will be residing in Wales Hall, please purchase regular twin sheets. If you will be residing in Gaebe Hall, please purchase full size sheets.

What is included in each room?

All residence hall rooms come with a bed, mattress, closet, dresser, desk and desk chair for each student. View further Residential Life Frequently Asked Questions.

What should I do if I still have a question?

If this list of frequently asked questions does not address your concern, please contact us at (303) 256-9603.